Cardiothoracic Surgery is the combination of Cardiac and Thoracic surgeries. Cardiac surgery deals with heart and great vessel diseases while Thoracic surgery primarily focuses on Lung diseases. A Cardiothoracic surgeon possesses specialization in dealing with all the organs inside the human rib cage. The main diseases that are treated through the Cardiothoracic Surgery include Coronary Artery Disease, Aortic Valve Disease, Lung Cancer, Atrial Septal Defects, Ventricular Septal Defects, Tetralogy of Fallot and Esophageal Cancer. Cardiothoracic Training is one of the longest medical training that lasts for a time frame between 9-14 years.
Nowadays, heart and lung diseases, are being diagnosed in the people from various parts of the world in large numbers, primarily due to the poor lifestyle and diet. Cholesterol-rich food and tobacco consumption also play a vital role in increasing the risk of cardiothoracic diseases. With the introduction of cardiothoracic treatments, there arrived a great relief in terms of cure for the diseases related to lungs, heart, esophagus and many other thoracic organs. Neither a heart surgeon can take care of all the complex cases related to the organs inside the chest nor can a thoracic specialist do it all alone. It needs a collaboration of various surgeons or a certified cardiothoracic surgeon to deal with a complex cardiothoracic disease. As cardiothoracic surgery involves both the cardiac and thoracic surgeries, people have various misconceptions regarding the process and lots of myths are still circulating around the globe making the cardiothoracic surgery a dodgy treatment. Here are few facts about the cardiothoracic surgery to bust all the existing myths related to it.
- The cardiothoracic surgery’s inception is neither too old nor too new. The evolution of this advanced surgery got a commendable pace after the World War II. Various experiments and theories are still getting added to it.
- Primary sectors of cardiothoracic surgery include General Thoracic Surgery, Congenital Cardiac Surgery, Adult Cardiac Surgery And Heart And Lung Transplant Surgery
- Cardiac surgeons perform Coronary Artery Bypass Surgery, Heart Valve Surgery & Aortic Surgery.
- Thoracic Surgeons perform lung cancer surgery, tumor surgery, cyst surgery, oesophageal cancer surgery, pectus surgery and key-hole thoracic surgery.
- Cardiothoracic surgery may differ for men and women as in many complex cases, men and women experience different symptoms related to heart or lungs.
- It is not necessary that you need cardiothoracic surgery only when you experience severe pain in your chest or trouble in the other organs inside your chest. You may not feel the symptoms of a cardiothoracic health issue many times but you may need a proper cardiothoracic consultation at regular intervals to avoid any complications. Visiting a certified cardiac, thoracic or cardiothoracic expert time to time is pretty necessary if you have already experienced health issues related to the organs inside your chest.
Understanding cardiothoracic surgery comprehensively will help you put your valuable trust in the treatment and all the myths related to it will no longer exist. Cardiothoracic surgeons may not be available in all the Heart Care Hospitals but most of the recognized cardiac care or thoracic care hospitals contact the best cardiothoracic surgeons when the case gets complicated.