Skin graft transplantation surgery basically refers to the act of removing skin from one particular part of the body and transplanting it to another part of the body using a highly predefined surgical procedure. This particular type of surgery is conducted to rejuvenate the damaged skin in case of illness, burns, open wounds, or some significantly serious ulcers which haven’t healed perfectly.
WHAT ARE THE TYPES OF SKIN GRAFT TRANSPLANTATION?
Skin graft transplantation is categorically defined in two major aspects which are namely
- Split level thickness grafts
This type of skin graft involves removal of the healthier epidermis and the dermis for transplanting it to the affected part of the body. This is usually used to cover major portions of the body which are affected due to some significant skin problem.
- Full-thickness grafts
This type of skin grafting refers to the surgical procedure of removing muscles and the blood vessels along with the epidermis and the dermis for transplanting into a majorly affected part of the body. This often takes time to heal and requires greater expertise levels in terms of the procedure followed accordingly.
HOW IS SKINGRAFT TRANSPLANTATION SURGERY DONE?
This particular procedure follows some definite steps for getting it executed successfully.
- Before this surgical procedure is carried out, there is a definite injection of an anesthesia in the IV line.
- Once done, the corresponding surgeon will perform the operation according to the kind of skin graft needed.
- In the case of split-level thickness grafting, the skin is usually taken from the hips and the inner thighs. For full thickness grafts, the skin is taken from the abdominal wall.
- Once this is done, the surgeon implants the skin, carefully on the affected part.
- They also cover the donor region with the necessary dressing to cover up the corresponding wound.
WHAT ARE THE ESSENTIALS TO KEEP IN MIND BEFORE OPTING FOR THIS SURGERY?
Before you conduct this skin graft transplantation surgery, consult with your doctor beforehand and make sure you are not following any kind of drugs or medical prescription which might otherwise affect the smooth surgical execution.
Also make sure, that you do not have any existing health issues which might adversely affect the whole procedure.
Make sure that you have all the assistance needed to help you smooth things out post the skin graft transplantation surgery.
THE BOTTOM LINE
One needs to have the excellent assistance of the corresponding doctors with reference to the post-surgery maintenance required for the skin. Also, it is highly advisable to avoid any activities that can cause potential damage to the newly generated skin. Skin graft transplantation surgery is quite a marvel in the field of cosmetic medicine and is destined to take on revolutionary standards with increasing advancement in technology.