DIABETES is a disease in which the blood glucose or blood sugar becomes too high to maintain. Insulin is a hormone which helps in absorbing glucose by the cells to generate energy. With Diabetes type – 2, your body will become unable to make and use insulin well. Lack of insulin in the body can result in too much glucose in the blood. High blood glucose can severely affect the heart, kidney, nerves and teeth.
CAUSES OF DIABETES TYPE 2;
Few of the things which can cause Diabetes type-2 are;
- Hereditary – Researches show that somewhere DNA plays a major role in affecting the ability of insulin to make glucose and that of cells to generate energy from glucose. Therefore, people with a diabetes history are more at risk of diabetes type 2.
- Overweight – Overweight or obesity can also trigger insulin resistance. Nowadays, diabetes type 2 is also affecting kids and teens along with adults because of childhood obesity.
- Excessive glucose from the liver – The liver secretes and circulates the glucose when the blood sugar is low. After the blood sugar level goes up (when you eat), the liver stores its glucose for later use. In some people, the liver loses its ability to store glucose and keeps on sending sugar.
- Damaged beta cells – When the cells start sending the incorrect amount of insulin at the incorrect time, then the blood sugar surely will rise up rapidly.
- Metabolic syndrome – People suffering from a group of conditions; high blood pressure, high cholesterol, high blood glucose, fat, and triglycerides are more at risk of diabetes type 2.
- Communication between cells – Sometimes cells become unable to send correct signals and receive incorrect messages. When these problems affect the function of cells to make and use glucose from insulin, then it can lead to diabetes.
SYMPTOMS OF DIABETES TYPE 2;
Symptoms of diabetes type 2 are as obvious as you think. A few of the symptoms of diabetes type 2 are;
- Blurry vision
- Peeing a lot
- Wounds that don’t heal
- Being irritable
- Being very much thirsty
- Numbness in several parts of the body
LONG TERM EFFECTS OF DIABETES TYPE 2;
With time, high blood sugar can damage different parts of your body. Few of the long term effects are;
- Kidney failure
- Loss of vision
- Damage to the nervous system
- Damage to the digestive system
- Issues related to wound healing
- Pregnancy complications
DIAGNOSIS OF DIABETES TYPE 2;
Your doctor can test your blood for diabetes. Consult a doctor if you have the symptoms mentioned above.
RISK FACTORS AND PREVENTION FOR DIABETES;
A few of the risk factors for diabetes type 2 are;
- Heart & blood vessel disease
- Low HDL cholesterol
- High Triglycerides
- Gestational diabetes (during pregnancy)
- Polycystic ovary syndrome (PCOS)
- Dark rashes around the neck and armpits (Acanthosis nigricans)
Sometimes it can also occur due to things that you cannot control, like; a medical history of diabetes, age, etc. Hence it is very important to prevent yourself from diabetes type 2 by bringing some changes in your daily routine and lifestyle, such as;
- Lose weight
- Adding physical activities into daily routines
- Quit smoking
- Adequate sleep