Who do you think is at the risk of eye injuries? A worker in a factory or at a construction site? People at work are equally at risk of eye injuries as those at home. Fortunately, approx. 90 percent of all eye injuries are preventable.
Studies suggest that approximately 70 percent of all eye injuries occur due to sparks striking the eye, or falling or flying objects. Hence it is necessary to wear an effective eyewear – that fits properly and designed to effectively protect your eyes – while doing risky activities.
In addition to use of an appropriate safety eyewear, regular eye check-ups are also necessary. An eye check-up can help detect and prevent eye conditions before causing loss of vision. An adult between the age of 45 to 65 should undergo an eye check-up in every two to four years. An adult over the age of 65 years should undergo an eye examination in every one to two years.
NOTE: If an eye condition occurs such as flashes of light, seeing spots, visual changes, pain, excessive dryness and excessive tearing, then immediately consult an ophthalmologist.
How to prevent eye injuries at workplace?
Using inappropriate eye safety equipment or wearing an improper eye safety wear is the main cause of eye injuries at workplace. The eyes can be injured or harmed in the work environment with the presence of steam, chemical splashes, wood chips, smoke, fumes, dust particles, radiation, UV light, lasers, infrared lights, etc. Hence, one should always wear properly fitted eye protection – such as goggles, safety glasses with side protection and face shields – at risky workplace.
How to prevent eye injuries at home and outside?
Few of the things that you can do to prevent eye injuries at home or outside are:
- Use safety goggles when exposed to chemicals.
- Wear protective eyewear during sports – such as paintball, hockey and cycling – to protect the eyes from potential risk.
- Use chemicals and cleaners with caution. Always read caution label before using a chemical and cleaner. Keep all those chemicals out of a child’s reach.
- Always supervise children using sharp or pointed tools such as pencils, scissors, forks and knives.
- Always be careful when cooking. Use grease shields while cooking to avoid hot oil splattering. Avoid using hot objects such as a curling iron near the eyes.
- Leave the fireworks to trained professionals.
How to identify an eye injury?
Few of the signs and symptoms that can help you identify an eye injury are:
- Acute or torn eyelid
- One eye is projecting out more than the other eye
- An unusual pupil shape or size
- Blood clots in the white part of the eye
- A foreign body or tiny particle in the eye that can’t easily be removed.
- Chronic eye pain or trouble seeing
It is highly recommended that you must take up a Lasik checkup package before proceeding to the surgery as it prevents any further health complication during the surgery. The package includes pre-initial work-up and consultation, procedure, and post-operative kit(contains eye drops and eye glasses). Manipal hospitals offers this Lasik checkup package at a cost efficient rate of Rs 27,200. You can opt for this simple procedure to lead a life free from the clutches of eyeglasses and contact lenses.