As one of India's most comprehensive general surgery practices, the Department of General Surgery at Manipal Hospital equips highly skilled surgeons with state of the art facilities to ensure a high surgical success rate.
The surgical teams at Manipal hospital treat several thousands of patients every year with a multidisciplinary approach. The skill and technology available on the team give patients the best treatment options to choose from. The department of general surgery works with other specialists like anesthesiologists, radiologists, cardiologists etc. to provide comprehensive surgical care with a multi-disciplinary approach.
This is a minimally invasive surgery to remove the appendix from the body. The appendix is a small pocket in the large intestine that serves no recorded purpose in the human body. However, it is only removed when it begins causing pain or other symptoms. The appendix is removed with a laparoscope through a small incision in the abdomen. The surgery…
FNAC or Fine Needle Aspiration Cytology involves using a thin, hollow needle to remove samples of cells from tissue or ﬂuid in an organ or a lump. This is usually done to identify the type of cells inside a lump found in the breast or a gland in the neck, like the thyroid gland. It is a very useful way for detecting cancer.
A skin abscess is a pocket of pus that appears within or below the skin’s surface. This bump is usually full of pus or translucent fluid. It is typically due to a bacterial infection. It may appear on any part of the body.
Sebaceous Cysts are small, painless, slow-growing, non-cancerous bumps beneath the skin. They contain liquid or semi-liquid material and are mostly found on the face, neck, or torso areas.
Ingrown toe nails occur when the edges or corners of nails grow into the skin next to the nail. The big toe is most likely to get an ingrown toe nail.
A lipoma is a non-cancerous, fatty lump that usually shows no symptoms or cause problems. Lipomas are located just under the skin and move easily when pressure is applied. They commonly occur in the neck, shoulders, back, abdomen, arms and thigh areas. If the lipoma is bothersome, painful or growing, surgical excision may be required.
Paronychia Nail Infection is a tender bacterial or fungal nail infection of the hand or foot. It usually occurs where the nail and skin meet at the side or the base of a finger or toe nail.
With the help of accurate scans and imaging, the surgeons at Manipal Hospitals' are well equipped to deal with emergency procedures, trauma care and general surgical procedures. Some of the surgical treatments offered
● Appendectomy (removal of the appendix)
● Trauma surgery
● Coronary artery graft bypass surgery
● Cesarean section
● Tonsillectomy (removal of tonsils)
● Hysterectomy (removal of the uterus)
● Skin grafting
● Carotid endarterectomy (removing blockages from arteries)
● Bariatric surgery
● Gastrointestinal surgery Minimally invasive surgery
● Laparoscopic cholecystectomy
● Laparoscopic appendectomy
● Laparoscopic hernia repair
● Laparoscopic colectomy and splenectomy Treatment & Procedures Laparoscopic appendectomy This is a minimally invasive surgery to remove the appendix from the body. The appendix is a small pocket in the large intestine that serves no recorded purpose in the human body. However, it is only removed when it begins causing pain or other symptoms. The appendix is removed with a laparoscope through a small incision in the abdomen. The surgery is quite simple and common, and patients are generally able to go home the day after surgery. Why is it performed? If the appendix gets inflamed, a condition known as appendicitis, it can be extremely painful and if left untreated, the appendix can burst, releasing an infection in the body that can cause severe complications. Since the appendix does not perform any function, it is simply easier and more effective to remove the appendix, rather than treat it.
Typically, you would approach a general surgeon with a diagnosis in hand. The surgeon examines the details of the case and makes a surgical plan based on scans and imaging. Then a date is set for surgery and any preparation or pre-surgical conditions that need to be met, are explained to the patient.
All surgical procedures carry an inherent amount of risk with them. Some surgical procedures are safer than others, and modern operating rooms are well-equipped to deal with even extreme complications. The surgical risk, however, is amplified by certain medical conditions. To get rid of the risks, visit the best general surgery hospital in Goa.
Depending on the type of surgery, and the nature of the underlying condition that made the surgery necessary, a surgeon will prescribe a period of time when the patient must be under observation. Minimally invasive surgeries heal quite quickly and do not cause much discomfort, larger incisions, however, can take much longer to heal. Visit the top general surgery hospital in Goa to know more about it.
Surgical procedures are generally not recommended by doctors when there is a safer alternative available. However, sometimes surgery is necessary because it is the most effective treatment available.
Manipal Hospitals is committed to giving its patients personalized treatment and care of the highest quality. The long term relationships we build with our patients and the lives made better by the Department of General Surgery are a testament to this.
Contact us to know more about general surgery and book an appointment with one of our surgical specialists today.